Choose between WordPress and Wix to build your website – If you've made the decision to build your own website, for any purpose, then you definitely face another important decision – you should use a content management platform (CMS). Which way to build your website? There are many reliable and intelligent options available, but perhaps the two best options you can choose are WordPress and Wix. Therefore, in this article, we will talk about these two platforms and make a direct comparison of their strengths and flaws. But before we get there, let's discuss some basics first.
What is CMS?
The content management system (CMS) is a platform that manages most of the technical aspects of creating or building a website. They are suitable for beginners and those who do not have a lot of experience building websites or techniques because they allow you to upload and manage your content in a very simple and easy way.
Generally speaking, there are two types of CMS platforms: powerful and highly customizable platforms like Drupal and WordPress and many drag and drop alternatives like Weebly and Wix. Each of these CMS platforms has its own advantages, disadvantages, and characteristics, so you need to understand these features before you can make a decision and choose the CMS that fits perfectly with your needs. your bridge.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is the most popular and widely used CMS today. It started operations in 2003 and after extremely humble beginnings, it has become the largest self-hosted blogging tool on the Internet. More than 70 million websites have been created using WordPress.
WordPress is an open source project, which means anyone can work with it. It also means that it is completely free to use by anyone. So if you don't want to pay license fees and other fees for your website, WordPress is a great tool for building your website.
WordPress can be customized to an unlimited extent and can be used for almost anything. All you need is a web host that fits some basic requirements and a bit of time to create the site you desire.
Before we go any further, you should also know that there is a difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com. The first website that allows you to download and install software gives you a lot of flexibility when you design your website. On the other hand, WordPress.com gives you the opportunity to create a completely free and new blog in just a few minutes, but it's a bit different and less flexible than the downloadable WordPress version.
What is Wix?
Wix.com is a web creation and development platform based on cloud technology. It was created by Wix Company from Israel. The platform allows users to design HTML5 websites that are also mobile friendly, using only drag and drop tools.
Wix is working on a freemium business, which means it makes money from high-end upgrades, while the basic use of Wix is completely free. However, a premium upgrade is needed if you want to connect your site to your own domain name or if you want to remove ads or add ecommerce features. Premium upgrades are also required if you want to purchase additional storage and bandwidth.
Wix was founded in 2006 and started operating in beta in 2007. Today, Wix has more than 50 million users, which makes it one of the most popular website building platforms, along with WordPress.
Now that you have some basic information on WordPress and Wix, it's time to see which platform is better for your needs by comparing them directly.
WordPress vs. Wix
As we said, we will now make a deep comparison between these two build platforms, which will help you decide which one is more suitable for you. Just keep in mind that both platforms offer great service, but they're also completely different, so the choice you make should be based on what you need and, mostly, based on The type of website you want to create.
See more: How to create a multilingual WordPress website
Easy to use
A lot of people want to create their own website to do that for a specific reason and most of them don't really have any tech or platform knowledge. In addition, most of them don't really want to invest too much time in learning these additional technology skills. That's why both WordPress and Wix are extremely popular because they allow you to design a website without having to go through the hassle of learning to code.
- Wix – Wix provides many simple and easy-to-use tools that allow users to create their own websites easily. It has a very simple drag and drop interface in which you can select any part or element on your website and edit it. You will be able to drag and drop items on any part of the site, rearrange the items on your page, create content and add different types of media.
- WordPress – The platform has an intuitive editor that allows users to write their content, as well as customize and edit their themes with another powerful tool. However, in contrast to Wix, WordPress has no built-in drag and drop tool for building websites. So if you want full control over the look of your website, you'll have to be familiar with the different parts of WordPress that allow you to edit the look and feel. That means you will have to take some time to learn some of the basic functions and features of WordPress.
Winner: Wix. While both sites are easy to use, WordPress requires at least some basic knowledge of HTML or CSS, while all you need to create a website with Wix is your mouse.
There are many options when designing and layout is important if you want your website to look unique and attractive. Both platforms offer a variety of layouts and designs, which means you'll be able to create a website that fits your desires.
- Wix – Wix offers hundreds of great and completely customizable designs in over 70 industry categories. You can also find many one-page templates that you can use for your landing page, as well as blank templates that outline only your site structure but don't contain any kind of content in it. However, although the templates that Wix provides are really beautiful, there is one important drawback – you cannot change the template after you have started your editing process. All of the designs that Wix offers are mobile friendly, and you can even change the look and feel of your website on mobile devices with Wix's Mobile Editor.
- WordPress – WordPress themes can be found in two places: the theme directory at WordPress.org and various independent theme sites and stores. The first option is the official one and the biggest option, but it's certainly a good idea to have a search option elsewhere if you don't find what you like on WordPress.org. You can also choose between free and paid themes. In contrast to Wix, you will not be able to use WYSIWYG editing to change and modify your WordPress theme, which means you must know how to read the code if you want to do this.
Winner : nobody. The selection of topics on both sites is large enough, which means that people will be able to find topics that are right for them. However, editing your theme in Wix is a lot easier and doesn't require any technological skills, so Wix will win here, at least when the beginner has a problem. . On the other hand, WordPress allows users to be much more creative with their designs and without any restrictions. So we will call it a draw in this category.
Features and flexibility
There are many important features that both platforms offer their users, allowing them to be very flexible when they design their websites, and this is one of the reasons why the two platforms build this site. most variable.
- Wix – Wix is a very flexible website builder, providing blogging and e-commerce support for users. In addition, there are many extensions that you can include in your website. Some of these extensions are free (Holiday Badge, Reviews, Live Chat Rooms), while others can be purchased through App Market. However, even these free extensions can sometimes be upgraded to the premium version that offers more features. These applications are easy to install and operate, just like the platform. Some are created by Wix, while others are designed by third-party developers. In addition to features and e-commerce support and blogs, you can also use Wix to create forums and use Wix ShoutOut and Smart Actions to collect important data from your visitors.
- WordPress – Although WordPress started out as a simple blogging platform, it quickly surpassed it and became a versatile builder that allowed you to create many different types of websites, like web stores, catalogs. investment, etc. This is achieved through a variety of plugins that can probably do anything you can think of the truth. There are over 40,000 free plugins available only in the plugin directory at WordPress.org. In addition, there are premium plugins available on other websites and markets. There are commenting plugins, social plugins, SEO packages, secure plugins, and much, much more.
Winner: WordPress. Although Wix has a lot to offer and do so in a much simpler and easier way, WordPress still wins small here. With so many features and plugins, WordPress is simply much more flexible and has more features that allow users to design their website just like they envisioned.
Having a great customer support is one of the most important things to consider when you choose the platform on which you will build your website because that is one of the things that can really make a difference. and improve your overall user experience.
- Wix – Wix has a huge support center and it's really helpful in many situations. There are more than 250,000 topics posted in the official forum to support Wix, but there are also hundreds of tutorials and video tutorials. You can use email support and learn about Wix from its educational program, WixEd. Even in the editor, there is a help icon for most elements that can be edited. You just need to click on it and you will get helpful information to solve your problem.
- WordPress – WordPress has existed much longer and has more users, so there is a huge WordPress community with WordPress experts. That means you will have no problem finding a solution to any WordPress problem. However, WordPress has no official support or customer support staff.
Winner: Nobody. While WordPress can win here due to the large amount of information and community size, the fact that they miss out on official customer support makes this category a relationship.
In the end, we came up with our final catalog, but not the most important category, as many beginner website owners have to consider all the costs they will face when they Build your website before they make a decision about their favorite site builder.
- Wix – As we mentioned, Wix is a freemium website building platform. That means you can design and publish a website, even have ads on your site, with a free account. However, if you decide so, you can upgrade your website to another paid version. There are five premium versions: Domain Connection, Combo, Unlimited, Ecommerce and VIP, all available for a discount if you decide to pay annual rather than monthly fees.
- WordPress – The build platform itself is completely free. However, if you are looking to be published, you will have to purchase a hosting package.
Winner: Nobody. Again, the benefits and flaws from these platforms cancel out each other. WordPress will probably cost more, but that just depends on your needs and wants. For example, your cost will be affected by the number of plugins you want to use, whether or not you use premium themes and hosting providers' prices. On the other hand, all Wix premium packages must offer free hosting, themes and extensions, but you may have to pay for a paid app from the Wix app market.
See more: Create a free Website
Which should you choose?
One thing that is quite clear from our analysis and comparison is that both of the building platforms we have mentioned have their own advantages and disadvantages. Which one you should choose completely depends on you from your needs and desires.
If you are looking for a quick and easy solution to set up a simple website for your company, you can go with Wix.
WordPress provides much more flexibility, so if you plan to set up a website and expand it in the future, maybe this platform will be a better choice for you. For self-hosted WordPress sites, we recommend using Bluehost.