People often rate clone website behavior as not good.
However, sometimes copying the original website is also beneficial.
In this article, I will show you how to copy WordPress website fastest with only 7 steps.
What is a clone, why use it?
Clone can be understood as: copy an exact website and apply it to another website.
So is this good or not?
The reality is when you want to move a WordPress site to a new server or domain.
The clone website will help you save more working time.
Is the dam rebuilt from the beginning?
Another example is when you are developing a website for your customers.
And you don't want your customers' website to be interrupted.
You can copy the entire website, for testing and development purposes.
Cloning a WordPress site is not difficult.
Here is a way that you can refer to with 7 simple steps
Use BackupBuddy to copy WordPress website
In this article we will use BackupBuddy plugin.
BackupBuddy is a backup tool in WordPress, but also allows you to easily restore websites from a copy.
I will show you how to use this tool to clone a website.
1. Install and Set Up BackupBuddy
The first thing you need to install and activate the BackupBuddy plugin.
Once activated, the left menu bar will have “BackupBuddy” in the admin.
Clicking on it will take you to BackupBuddy Quick Setup Wizard.
This is a feature to help you install more quickly and easily.
- You will enter your email and password (this password will be used to restore the website).
- Choose where to save the backup (GG drive, Amazon S3, FTP, Dropbox …). You will get 1GB free if you choose to store on the server of BackupBuddy
- Choose automatic or manual backup mode
When the options are finished, click Save Settings
2. Backup WordPress website
After running the setup wizard, it will not back up right away.
At this point you will be able to select the files you want to backup
- Database Only: only backup the database
- Theme Only: only backup the interface
- Plugin Only: only backup the plugin
- Media Only: only backup the uploaded files
- Complete Backup: full all files above
- Or select the “+”To customize it to your liking
Once completed, it will give you the option:
- Download the backup file: Download the backup file directly
- Send to an offsite destination: send the backup file to somewhere.
Below is the Overview tab to see what the backup file contains, and the Status Log has a history of the backup run (you can also download this log.txt file).
3. Prepare the WordPress site clone
BackupBuddy offers you a very easy site copy and move tool.
Just visit BackupBuddy »Restore / Migrate page to start the copy process.
Here it is a very detailed guide
- Download importbuddy.php or send importbuddy.php to a remote destination
- Download a backup zip file below and upload it to your destination’s web root where you want it restored (eg. / Home / buddy / public_html /) or select “Send” when hovering below to send to a remote destination.
- Tip: WordPress should not be installed prior to the restore. You should delete it if it already exists.
- Tip: Full backups should be restored before restoring database only backups.
- Navigate to the uploaded importbuddy.php URL in your web browser (ie http://your.com/importbuddy.php) and follow the instructions.
Rest assured I will guide in detail below!
First you need to download the file
importbuddy.php about computers.
Click on the link Download importbuddy.php Or you can send the file directly to the server.
Below are all the backup files, here you will have some options:
- Download – Download the backup file
- Send – send the backup file to the location you want (GG drive, Amazon S3, Local …)
- Note – rewrite the information you want
- Browse & Restore Files – detailed backup files
- Database Rollback – restore the website with this backup.
4. Upload Backups and Importbuddy to the new website
You now have a backup of your website in zip and file format
The next step is to upload them to the folder that will contain your website.
Usually it will be in the following folder on the server:
/home/dieuhau/public_html/ (dieuhau may be your domain name)
You can also use the FTP client or go to the file manager on Cpanel to upload those files.
No matter where you copy the files, make sure the directory is completely empty and there are no files or folders inside, except for the file.
importbuddy.php and your backup zip file.
5. Run Import Script
After uploading both files, you need to access the file
importbuddy.php on the web browser. It will be located at a URL as follows:
Replace example.com with your own domain name.
You will be asked to enter a password.
This is the password you created in Step 1 or the password you entered when downloading the file
importbuddy.php in step 3.
After entering the password, import buddy automatically finds your backup zip file.
Check that the file is correct and then click Restore Backup.
Step 2: Restore File: In this step it will proceed to import the backup file.
The time it takes will depend on the size of your backup file.
Step 3: Database Settings: This step you will need to fill out the information for the new database.
Enter the new database name, user and password.
If you haven't created a new database yet, you can always log into your hosting and create a new database from cPanel (phpMyAdmin).
You can create or use buttons yourself cPanel Database Wizard to create the database.
Knot cPanel Database Tutorial There will be a tutorial in case you don't know how.
Step 4: Restoring Database: simply wait for it to back up the database
Step 5: Site URL Settings: At this step it will help you change the Site URL. Click Next Step
Step 6: Verify Site & Finish:
Check out your new website by visiting the link shown below:
Check that your posts and links are working correctly.
Visit the WordPress admin area to check other functions.
Last check and delete backup files when everything is done.
Check ImportBuddy files, zip backup file … and click Cleanup.
Step 6 Cleanup & Completion: So you have finished copying or backing up the website.
So I have instructed you to clone WordPress website quickly.
If you have any questions or questions when copying websites, please comment below.